A further history is taken from Mr Pan about his “penicillin allergy”.
He tells you he has taken penicillin on 3 occasions and completed the course. However he tells you.
On the first occasion after 3 days he vomited and he think the drug made him feel sick (but completed the course).
On the second occasion it was for an infection and he had a rash on his feet but no other ill effects (completed the course).
On the third occasion he had diarrhoea. (Stopped the course after 4 days).
He tells you he spoke to a friend who was a medical student and was told he must be allergic to penicillin. You check his notes and confirm he has received the prescriptions.
Should he be recorded as having a penicillin allergy for the purposes of his notes?
- Yes but he can probably take penicillin in the future
- Yes and he should not be given furhter penicillin or its derivatives
- Not allergic: if needed can safely be prescribed penicillin in the future
- Not allergic : however should not be prescribed penicillin in the future
- Should not take penicillin again but can take amoxycillin